I think every parent on the plant has mumbled a few swear words under their breath as they clean up the countless number of toys every night. They are scattered over every inch of the house, within minutes the next morning!
We have sworn off the toy aisle with a burning passion! We tell family members every year, “NO MORE TOYS!” However, there they are… those big boxes wrapped up waiting for your child to tear off the paper and they end up enjoying the big box rather than the toy inside.
Well we have changed things in our house, and I have to tell you my kids have LOVED IT! We now collect memories and not things. We ask everyone to give the gift of an experience instead of just more stuff that will end up on our garage sale in a few months.
It’s the gift that keeps giving all year long! We have enjoyed many Saturdays going to explore and spending time as a family instead of hanging out at home.
Here Are Some Gift Ideas:
1. Zoo membership
2. A gift card to a local pottery painting store
3. Classes at a local dance school
4. Community education art classes
5. Swim classes at the local YMCA or Community Center
6. Summer passes to a Pool
7. KOA Camping gift card to make some summer memories as a family
8. A night at a hotel with a pool for some winter swimming fun
9. Sleepover at Grandma and Grandpa’s house (the gift that keeps giving)
10. Children’s museum membership
11. Tickets to a local play or theater production
12. Passes to an aquarium
13. Gift cards to family friendly restaurants
14. Tickets to a Disney show
15. Tickets to a sporting event
16. Passes to behind the scene tour of a zoo or aquarium
17. A day at the free Home depot building class with grandpa
18. In door bounce facilities passes
19. Baking stuff and a day in the kitchen with grandma
20. Movie theater tickets
21. Day of sledding and hot cocoa at a local hill
22. Ski passes and rentals
23. Outdoor movie passes
24. Star gazing with a special memory blanket
25. Fishing trip to a local dock
27. Science experiment kit
28. Mini golf passes
29. Community education classes
30. Tea with their special doll at Bed and Breakfast
31. A tour of the local fire station and climb on the trucks
32. A Visit to the State Fair
33. Horseback riding lesions
34. Visit a local farm, see how it works and pet the animals
35. Apple picking and a picnic
Collect memories, not things! At the end of the day, these are the things your kids will remember. They won’t remember which toy auntie got them for their third birthday, however they will have the memory of the experience for a life time!